It is impossible to disagree with the fact that performance is crucially important for websites or apps, no matter you are working on a big project or only launching your oeuvre for the first time. Even knowing the basic rules of front end development and theoretically doing all things right, you may need to use some front-end performance tools to optimize website performance.
Performance Testing + CDNs + Browser Tools & Plugins = Perfection
- Yslow is a page load speed test plugin designed by Yahoo that checks site performance against 23 page performance rules. It shows main obstructions and often ways how to solve them.
- PageSpeed by Google will check the performance according to the series of frond-end optimization rules. It not only shows troubles and how they could be solved, but also underlines some great examples that are used by front end developers in order to fix everything as fast as possible.
- Pingdom delivers website performance analysis from the various geographical locations. It considers page request server responses, load time of the page and CSS, HTML etc. download time. The tool gives grade of web page performance for any requests.
- Speedcurve, Calibre, Sitespeed also deal with your site’s speed and loading time of pages. Once more – if there is a hinky page you will know straight away.
Content Delivery Networks (or CNDs) work for content optimization to help deliver web site assets as quickly as possible.
- CloudFront by Amazon lets pass content to end-users with a low wait time and the high speed of data transfer.
- CloudFlare makes CDN more affordable, more simple to setup and better performing due to usage of the latest changes of routing, web-server technologies and hardware upgrades.
- MaxCDN gives opportunity to place static content on its servers (which are the most closely situated to end-users). It leads to faster web page load time and also better ranking by Google.
Browser Tools & Plugins – simply install them to enjoy real-time performance evaluation.
- Page Performance is compatible with Chrome and shows web-page performance analysis. Able to work with multiple tabs and will provide the info about the tab which is active.
- Audits is also Chrome plugin that analyzes the page while it’s loading. Later on you get advices on how to shorten page load time and improve perceived responsiveness.
And, of course, there are loads more front-end testing tools and performance ones as well, helping you make pro audit (Perfmonkey, PerfAudit, Navigation Timing API etc.) or images and vector graphics optimization tools (like SVGO, ImageOptim or Trimage).
An important thing is to find the one that suits your needs best and REALLY helps improve performance. What’s amazing – many of these tools are free or have free trial period.